Make sure you can access the Members Section of the SOSA website:
- The link is: http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/apps/member/login
- Your username is the email address that you receive your statements with.
- If you don't know your password, fill in your email address at http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/apps/member/reset_password and check your mail for instructions.
Join as a member:
- The AGM will be at the Waterloo-Wellington Flight Center on March 16th. Mark your calendars!
- Membership form link: http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/sosa-membership-form.html
- Campground agreement link for folks with camping trailers: http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/sosa-campground-agreement.html
- Release form: http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/uploads/1/6/5/2/16520160/2015_participant_release_agreement.pdf (Print, sign, deposit in clubhouse cash box)
- Pay enough money that you've got a healthy credit balance. Confirm your balance in Free Flight.
- Pencil in your calendars for the spring work weekend. Guessing based on past years, it might be April 13-14, but it could get rescheduled because of weather or other unpredictable reasons. It's up to the new board, which doesn't exist yet, they'll get to schedule it whenever they want. I'm just guessing.
Learn about the new toys:
- Manuals for the Duo Discus and its LX9050 are here: http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/glider-manuals-and-instruments.html
- It might also be a good idea to read about our old toys, too. Did you know that XCSoar on Anrdoid can pair with the LS4s by bluetooth so you can get real variometer data and FLARM positions on your preferred display? We're truly living in the future.
Learn to save a life -- SOSA has purchased two defibrillator units, one for the clubhouse and one for the bus:
- Defibrillator Ease of use demonstration: 1:20 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTxAOBn5pVQ
- Defibrillator Full training for use: 38:13 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1cyRNgzyrQ
- Passed in 2001, the Ontario Good Samaritan Act, 2001, protects health care professionals and other individuals from liability for negligence in respect of services that they provide in certain circumstances to persons who are ill, injured or unconscious as a result of an accident or other emergency, except if they cause damages through gross negligence.
- Ontario also passed an additional law specifically for AEDs, the Heart Defibrillator Civil Liability Act, 2006 (also known as the Chase McEachern Act) which protects individuals from liability for damages that may occur from their use of an AED to save someone’s life at the immediate scene of an emergency, unless damages are caused by gross negligence.
- The kits will also include injectable naloxone. Learn about that here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsN0ijLnK2k
Get your papers in order:
- Does your Aviation Document Booklet expire this year?
- Here's the renewal form: http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/26-0726E_1502-06_E_X.pdf
- You can't request a renewal until your booklet is within 90 days of expiry.
- If you get a new booklet, that new booklet might not contain your most recent medical, in which case you should also carry your old booklet until your next medical: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/aviation-document-booklet-validity-notice.html
- Do you have an instructor licence that expires this year? If so, contact Tom.
- Does your medical expire this year? For a Cat3 medical, that's 5 years (60 months) from the examination date. (Remember, if you want to fly in the US, you have to get medicals more often)
- If you aren't an instructor and won't carry passengers, you can self-declare your medical here: http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/26-0297E_1308-07_E.pdf
- Do you have evidence (an amusing anecdote is not evidence) that you satisfy the recency recurrent training requirements of CAR 401.5(2)(a)? (Text: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/FullText.html#s-401.05)
- Easiest way to satisfy this requirement is to complete the questionnaire published by TC online: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/general-operating-flight-rules/flight-crew-recency-requirements-self-paced-study-program.html
- If you attended a CAS seminar or a safety forum in the US, do you have evidence of this attendance? A written line in your logbook with the date of the training would be good enough if you didn't want to carry around a certificate of attendance. TC hands out logbook stickers at their seminars, got one of those?
- When was the last time you made a backup of your logbook? I know two members who have had car windows smashed and logbooks stolen. Just take it to work every winter and photocopy it. Take a cameraphone picture whenever you fill a page. Whatever.
Decide on your season goals:
- If you're a student, have you registered for the groundschool? There will be people in the groundschool that are very new to SOSA, remember to welcome them!
- Come up with some goals, and choose a coach or mentor for yourself. Tell your coach/mentor what your goals are.
- Solo? Licence? Bronze, Silver, Gold badges?
- Learn to drive the winch?
- SOSA's OLC champion for a day?
- Bringing home to SOSA the travelling 1-26 trophy? (Track it at: https://twitter.com/travelling126)
- A successful solo around the task du jour? (http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/the-sosa-racetrack-or-task-du-jour.html)
- Checking out in a fleet aircraft you haven't flown before? The tractor?
- Getting in to intro flying? Instructing? Aerobatics?
- Show off your BBQ skills by getting the club's spit assembly and roasting a pig over charcoal as a social event? Steve Burany says it also works great for turkeys. Board members are neither pigs nor turkeys, discuss with your local butcher.
Become an Official Observer:
- Anyone that is interested in badge flying and actually doing badge flying can become an OO. You don't need to be an instructor or anything special, just have the desire to help your fellow members.
- OO's Guide is Annex C: https://www.sac.ca/index.php/en/documents-en/badges-and-records/fai-sporting-code
- OO's Document Page: https://www.sac.ca/index.php/en/documents-en/badges-and-records/official-observer/299-oo-application-form/file
- OO's Quiz: https://www.sac.ca/index.php/en/documents-en/badges-and-records/official-observer/302-oo-quiz-13/file
- Once you've completed the quiz, review it with Dave to get signed up as an OO.
Mine your network for recruits:
- You know lots of people that might consider taking an intro flight or signing up for lessons. Tell them about our March groundschool gift certificates! (http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/ground-school.html)
- Share the club's youtubes with your friends - our channel is https://youtube.com/c/sosaglidingclub/videos/ and our introduction video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvLIXnqO-G8
- Review your list of Facebook friends, ask yourself which ones might be interested.
- Same for your list of LinkedIn contacts. Read through your email addressbook.
- Read through your church directory, your employee directory at work, consider the parents of your kid's friends.
- Send out some invitations! Don't email-all everyone at work, though - sometimes a poster on the bulletin board is best.
Review SOSA's procedures:
- SOSA Operating Procedures: www.sosaglidingclub.com/uploads/1/6/5/2/16520160/sosa_procedures_2017.pdf
- Winch Procedures: www.sosaglidingclub.com/uploads/1/6/5/2/16520160/winch_procedures_-_2015.pdf
- Circuit Standards: www.sosaglidingclub.com/uploads/1/6/5/2/16520160/circuit_standards.pdf
Download the latest XCSoar File versions:
- Map/Terrain: http://download.xcsoar.org/maps/CAN_SW_ONTARIO_HighRes.xcm
- Airspace: http://soaringweb.org/TP/Rockton/rockton4.txt
- Turnpoints: http://soaringweb.org/TP/Rockton/rktn8_nm.cup (Other versions at http://soaringweb.org/TP/Rockton)